Top Quality French Carp Fishing

NEW Lake Record caught on 26th. April 2017 at 76lb 15oz

120 -150 different carp of 40lb. or bigger inc. 50+ different 50lb. plus carp

and 14 different 60lb plus carp And 2 known 70lb plus carp.

Hover over image for larger picture

Read Iain MacMillans review of his last trip to Moorlands

Chapter 11 - 2012 - First Year with Stock Pond

Back                                                                                                                                                   Next

June was a month of ups and downs with some weeks producing amazing amounts of fish while the next week was scratching time. I spoke to a few other lake owners and we all seemed to share the feeling that we couldn’t understand the irregularities in the feeding situations. We could often see fish feeding but they didn’t want to pick up our baits.

It was also the month that I became aware that the baits that we were using didn’t appear to be working as they had last year and that some were beginning to pop back up to the surface covered in mould and with a putrid smell.

It was time to find a better food source.

        Summer was also the time of another personal torment when we received the sudden and very unexpected news that Gerry’s wife Hilary had died. She had been suffering from a throat infection as well as trying to recover from the hospital super-bug which had almost destroyed her leg and it seems that the strain simply proved to be too much.

The coroner’s report showed that she had died from heart failure. Gerry, Hilary, Jan and I spent a lot of time together as 18/19 year olds and newly weds “and now there were three.”

I phoned Gerry a few times at it was evident that he was struggling, big time. His life had fallen apart and he wasn’t enjoying life any longer.

Worrying times made even worse when one of his sons confirmed that he was back on the drink and had started smoking again. Hopefully he would keep his promise and get back to a bit of fishing on Deal beach when the codling begin to arrive in October/November.

        July came in like a lion with torrential rain and a hail storm like I had never seen before. Hail stones like marbles and a water deluge didn’t help the fishing.

        We continued to see numerous forties banked with the odd fifty and the condition of the carp looked amazingly good so I was confident that we would go into winter with some exceptional base weights for all of them.

On another personal note, I became aware of a small blind spot in my left eye and decided to get it checked by the doctor with an appointment booked for lunch time on Monday 30th July.

Up to that point I had been fishing for a couple of days and my last fish before leaving for the doctor’s turned out to be my third fifty plus common at 50lb 7oz.

        The Doctor informed me that I needed to see an eye specialist as I had a “lump” at the back of my eye. Needless to say, in my brain, lump became translated to tumour and I didn’t sleep at all that night. The fact that the blind spot had been growing was all the confirmation that I needed. I saw the specialist at 8am on 31st July, was sent immediately to Dijon hospital for emergency surgery preparation and spent 1st August having needles stuck into my eyeball so that the surgeons could mend a ripped retina which had become detached.

Apparently the retina had torn and the fluid in my eye had got behind it and was forcing it off of the inner wall of the eyeball, a bit like a bubble in wall paper. I typed this immediately after the operation; “The surgery is now done and it involved 3 hours of injections (six in total) into my eyeball and then the fluid sucked out and replaced with gas to stick the retina back in place. I was forced to sit for three hours looking down at the floor in order that the gas bubble was positioned correctly over the repair and that the fluid was draining away from it.

An overnight stay and then a final exam which ended with yet another needle into my eye”. Thankfully it wasn’t a tumour but the surgery meant that I was blind in one eye for 6 weeks and that my vision would not be the same again. However, the main cause of my current blurred vision is that the gasses used during the operation, have crystalised the lens in my eye and the next step is to have that lens removed and a plastic one fitted to clear the “diffused” light which makes normal sight very difficult. Hopefully this will be complete by Christmas.