Top Quality French Carp Fishing

NEW Lake Record caught on 26th. April 2017 at 76lb 15oz

120 -150 different carp of 40lb. or bigger inc. 50+ different 50lb. plus carp

and 14 different 60lb plus carp And 2 known 70lb plus carp.

Hover over image for larger picture

Read Iain MacMillans review of his last trip to Moorlands

Jan’s Dad, Laury Sheene (cousin of Barry Sheene’s father), had been a Japanese prisoner of war and was the bravest man that I had ever met.

Because of his ill treatment in Changi prison he developed severe diabetes and was forced to have both legs amputated to reduce the toxins in the blood which was causing gangrene to set in. I will just add here that he chose to have the operation carried out while still conscious and simply by using an epidural, which is the system used by women during child birth.

When I questioned his reasons for this decision he told me that he was worried that if he was fully anaesthetised he might not wake up and, besides which, he had been forced to help cut off one of his fellow inmates legs while adding “and he only had a stick of bamboo to chew on”.

Anyway, shortly after Christmas, he was suddenly rushed in to Margate hospital with complications. As soon as we heard this we thrashed down the motorway system from Bicester to Margate to see for ourselves how bad things were.

Luckily Jan was able to sit and talk to her Dad for one last time before he died in the early hours of the following morning.

From then on my mum’s illness took hold very quickly and her health declined just as quick. We moved her into our house at Field Cottage but I am ashamed to admit that I found it a major struggle to become a nurse to my own Mum.

After everything that our parents do for us when we are children you would expect that it should be easy to return the favour but that is not how I experienced it and I just pray that she didn’t think that I found it difficult because I didn’t love her because I did then and I still do now.

Luckily for me Jan had been an auxiliary nurse and she simply took over and relieved me of any of the less savoury duties. In fairness, our doctor had noticed that I was struggling and he arranged for Mum to be moved into a private room at the local hospital. She remained there and seemed as happy as we could wish for, for the last two weeks of her life.

Even this period was to see another twist for which we were unprepared.

Obviously we were aware that Mum’s life was coming to a rapid end. During all of this my eldest daughter, Teresa, was in the latter stages of her pregnancy with her third child.

Each of us kidded ourselves that we were ready and would cope. After all, nothing could be worse than having to sit and hold my Dad’s hand as he died ... could it?

We promised each of our daughters that we would phone them the minute that their Nan died. Now Jan is a late night person whereas I prefer the early mornings, but once Jan is asleep she loves to be left undisturbed until at least mid morning, unless of course she has work or an appointment.

With this in mind it was extremely strange for her to wake me up at 3.00 am on the morning of 1st May 2001 with the words: “I’m just going to phone the hospital”.

To this day I do not and will never understand what on earth made her wake up at that ungodly hour to make that phone call but she did.

Back                                                                                                                                                    Next

Chapter One - The Start of a Dream