Top Quality French Carp Fishing

NEW Lake Record caught on 26th. April 2017 at 76lb 15oz

120 -150 different carp of 40lb. or bigger inc. 50+ different 50lb. plus carp

and 14 different 60lb plus carp And 2 known 70lb plus carp.

Hover over image for larger picture

Read Iain MacMillans review of his last trip to Moorlands

Chapter Six - The Long Hot Summer

Back                                                                                                                                                   Next

This suggests that, at a water temperature of 12 C, a lake holding 3000 kg of fish would need 12 kg of pellet per day. It also indicates that the “hunger factor” climbs steadily from 12 degrees to about 23 degrees and then begins to dive off. Whilst I continued to observe these “rules” I was still concerned that we needed to be sure that our feed was getting to the right fish. I was somewhat concerned that the pellets were softening so quickly that the smaller carp would be clearing them before the large fish got a look in.

However, with the small fish removed this shouldn’t have proved to be a problem.

As the winter continued we managed to get all the interior jobs complete and I was then forced to confront the elements and start work on some of the swims.

On Monday 17th February 2003, I set to work on the west bank and was aware that there appeared to be a patch of coloured water in front of one of the swims and I hoped that this was being created by feeding fish. Most of the ice had cleared so, at 9.30 am, I flicked out three rods over the area in question and carried on with my work.

I worked until midday and then walked back to my rods to wind them in before going to lunch only to find that the ice in the margin had re-formed and had closed in around the lines.

I threw in some stones in order to clear the lines and found that I had an eleven pound common attached to my right hand rod.

Not the biggest fish in the world but pleasant in those conditions.

Not until the following Friday did the ice begin to thaw again and then I didn’t see any more signs of feeding fish until the Sunday 23rd. in fact, these signs were in front of the “First Pontoon” swim which was on the opposite side of the lake.

Having seen the opportunity I didn’t need too much encouragement, so Monday 24th February 2003 saw me up at first light. The cloudy water was still evident and my three rods were rigged with light running rigs and baited up with the same boilies that we had been feeding.

I didn’t feel comfortable with putting all three baits onto the same patch and thought that it would prove to be too much disturbance in one small area. With this in mind my right and middle rod were positioned over the cloudy area but my left rod was flicked further along the margins and away from the obvious spot.

After the initial casts the water cleared and nothing happened throughout the morning and lunchtime periods. At about 3.30 in the afternoon one of the alarms let out a single bleep and the bobbin lifted. That was the first sign that the fish may have moved back into the swim. After a short pause the bobbin on my right hand rod began to rise again and continued up to the rod. The line pinged free from the clip and the spool turned. I lifted into the fish and from that instant I was aware that it was a good fish.

The fight was long, slow and deep with lots of mud being churned up. No major problems occurred and what was obviously my biggest ever winter mirror slid over the draw string of the net.

It was an extremely broad fish and when I tried to lift it onto the mat I became even more aware of its weight. I slipped it into the sling and my jaw dropped as the scales turned round to show exactly 41.00 lb. My first forty from my own lake and a personal best by 8 ounces.